Jul 22, 2010

About Books Blog 23: The Prophecy




Photobucket


Author: Gill James
Genre: Young Adult/Science Fiction

Favorite Line

“Yes, it was okay being a bit different. Just look what had happened because of it.”

Summary

I thought I had better use the summary from the Red Telephone Books website, since they describe it better than me.

Kaleem Malkendy is different – and on Terrestra, different is no way to be.

Everything about Kaleem marks him out from the rest. The blond hair and dark skin, the humble cave where he lives and the fact that he doesn’t know his father. He’s used to unwelcome attention - but even so, he’d feel better if some strange old man didn’t keep following him around.

Then the man introduces himself and begins to explain the Babel Prophecy – and everything in Kaleem’s life changes forever.

What I Thought of This Book

Ollie Wright at Red Telephone Books sent me a review copy of this. I would just like to thank Ollie before I get started. Now on to the fun stuff.

You know those sci-fi novels that are so crazy and scientific you don’t know what happened? This is not one of those. Yay! The Prophecy is advertised futuristic science fiction adventure for young adults. It is all of that with several fantasy elements thrown in. I thought the book was very much like its theme, which focuses on the inclusion and acceptance of other cultures. I personally thought that a wide variety of people would like this, even if you are not a young adult or don’t usually read science fiction.

It took a couple of pages to get into the story. However, that is not uncommon with the science fiction genre. There is quite a bit of set up involved in that genre, and it is usually important. I didn’t have an issue with that. I thought the explanations of the futuristic tools and gadgets were handled very well. I could imagine them very easily. I like the idea of people living on different planets with different cultural backgrounds. I also thought it was an interesting choice to base the prophecy in the story on the biblical story of The Tower of Babel.

The writing style was different from what I’m used to, but I enjoyed it. Gill James wrote in a way that you were able to experience things though the main characters eyes. I usually feel like characters are friends that I visit for a while, but with this book, I often felt like I was the character. Super cool!

I have always been fond of stories contain miracle children or chosen ones. Since Kaleem is close enough to being one of those, I suppose it a given that I was going to like this book. I really loved the sections about his mother as well.

The Prophecy is going to be part of a trilogy. As I was nearing the end of the novel, I got worried Gill was going to leave me hanging when the book was over. I was relieved that she did not. She closed enough of story line that I felt complete, but left enough for the story to continue.

I thought it was a very nice relaxing book. I would definitely read the not yet published sequel if I had the chance. Of course, The Prophecy is currently only published in the UK. Thus, if you want it you will have to pay for it in British pounds. You can find all the info on how to get The Prophecy on the Red Telephone Books website.

Facts Found Interesting

I suggest looking on Gill James’ website. She wrote her own biography on it, and I just think it is adorable for some reason.

The Movie

No movie. I saw it like a movie in my head, so maybe they will make one some day.

Music To Read By

Favorite Albums

When I started this book, something about it said classical music to me. Thus, I listened to some Mozart and Bach. I found out later that I could listen to anything while reading this book. I could put my mp3 player on the highly rated playlist and enjoy a variety of music. On the final chapters of The Prophecy I listened to, The Boy Who Never by Landon Pigg and Waking Up by One Republic.

The Prophecy Playlist

Kyrie Eleison - Mozart
Earth (Instrumental Version) - Imogen Heap
Different Names For The Same Thing - Death Cab For Cutie
Caring Is Creepy - The Shins
The Boy Who Never - Landon Pigg
Prelude, Cello Suite #1 - Bach
Alone In Kyoto - Air
Secrets - One Republic
Reverie - Debussy
Funeral/Rebuilding Serenity - David Newman











Well that's it dear followers. I promised myself I would get this out by the end of the week. Yay! See you later. Keep it shiny!

1 comment:

Gill James said...

Great review- thanks.
Gill James